Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Don't Fear the Fruity Beer

Hello, I like to drink beer.
As a female, I feel I am allowed to tell you this without being too embarrassed....

I love fruity beer.

I know I am not alone in this because I have many friends, both male AND female, that also like fruity beer. My beer might be a little more froo-froo than yours, just because it’s got strawberries in it, but I don’t really care. It’s fucking delicious.

If I happen to be browsing the beer aisle in my local liquor store(yes, here in Maryland, we have to purchase our booze at the liquor store, unless you are lucky enough to find a store with a special license) and I come across a beer I haven’t seen before, my interest is piqued. If it’s an IPA or a dark beer like a porter or stout, I instantly lose interest. I will try porters and stouts, but not in 6-pack form, ok? I just want to SAMPLE it. IPAs, on the other hand, I just don’t like. I may lose all right to call myself a Pacific Northwesterner when I say that, but it’s true.



If, however, it is a wheat beer or contains fruit in any way, shape or form, I will buy it. If the only fruit involved was that the brewer ate an apple on the day they brewed that beer, I would still buy it. That’s how much I love fruity beer.

So I’ve decided to showcase some of the fruity beers that I happen to enjoy, for your reading pleasure! Hooray beer!


It's like someone added a
lemon slice to your beer...
without charging $5 a pint!




Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy
I found this beer the other day and was very excited to try it. It was fabulous; the perfect summer beer. The base seems to be a light, citrusy wheat beer that is then combined with the perfect amount of lemon. It’s refreshing, but not pulpy and extremely easy to drink. When I think summer time BBQ, I think of this beer. I expect to consume more of this over the next few months...


21st Amendment Brewery’s Hell or High Watermelon
The first time I found this beer, I had to buy it. It was terrible. It took months to make it through the 6 cans and I pawned them off on unsuspecting friends when they visited. This week, I was given the question “blueberry or watermelon”? I said either was fine, not knowing it was in reference to beer. When a pack of Hell or High Watermelon appeared, I was a bit disappointed. I tried it anyway and was quite surprised to find that I liked it! This is a seasonal brew that is only available April through September, so it’s possible they changed it up between seasons. The first clue that it was different is that I wasn’t immediately disgusted by it when I sipped it. The watermelon flavor was lighter which also showed in the fact that the beer was no longer pink. The taste is mild and fruity, with a really nice creamy finish. This season’s is a win!

"Like a beer and a strawberry smoothie
had a delicious love child."


Fruli
There is a fabulous, though expensive, bar in Fell’s Point Baltimore, MD that has an amazing selection of beers on tap, which is constantly changing. I usually order whatever fruity beer I can find on the list. On one visit, I was lucky enough to snag a glass of Fruli. It was seriously like a beer and a strawberry smoothie had a delicious love child. The beer was thick and rosy in color, like an actual smoothie, but was not heavy at all. It had a fresh, delicious strawberry taste with a very mild beer tone, maybe a little too fruity for some of you out there, but I loved it.
Samual Adam’s Blackberry Witbier
Blackberries are basically my favorite fruit ever, so throw that in beer and I am all about it. Plus, it’s made by a major brewery, so it tends to be readily available. As far as drinkability, the fruit flavor is good(frankly, it could have MORE blackberry flavor, but like I said...it’s my favorite fruit so I’m a little biased) and the beer has a nice crisp finish with a hint of spice, thanks to the coriander and orange peel it’s also brewed with. 


I have Ruby here as a Christmas
ornament...I think that makes
me a true fan.


McMenamins Ruby
My favorite beer of all time, the Ruby is a raspberry ale. It’s got a fantastic raspberry flavor with a creamy finish that makes it taste like the beer was brewed with raspberries AND cream. Seriously, most of you reading this probably can’t get this beer....but if you ever make it out to the Pacific Northwest, seek out the nearest McMenamins and sit yourself down for some awesome beer and some cajun tots.



Gotta catch 'em all!




Rogue Ale’s Somer Orange Honey Ale
Being from Oregon, I had to include a beer from one of my favorite breweries of all time...Rogue Ales. This beer replaced my favorite Honey Orange Wheat a few years back. It’s not quite as good(which might have more to do with the fact that I just love wheat beers above and beyond all others), but is still quite tasty. The flavor is smooth, which just a hint of spice and citrus, plus it comes in an awesome Rogue bottle!

If you find a fruity beer and would like to share, please comment below! I am aware that there are many more fruity beers out there, all just begging for me to drink them. 

And don’t worry...

I’m up to the task.



7 comments:

  1. If you're a fan of shandy then I'd suggest Hoppin' Frog's Turbo Shandy, it's fairly sweet, with a nice lemonade zing and some serious alcohol content, but very little kick. Great all around beer, and the higher alcohol content makes (at least for me) lazy summer days feel even more mellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You left off the Shocktop Raspberry Wheat. As someone who also loves fruity beer, I can't believe you let that one drop off. I agree with your Orange Honey Ale, though. Oh, and the SA Blackberry.

    Also, I LOVE the shandy. I'll be looking for Hoppin' Frog next time I'm looking for beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even realize Shandy was a thing until I picked up the Leinenkugels last week.

    Yaarina, while I do love Shock Top's Strawberry Wheat, I didn't want to do multiple beers with the same fruit flavor...and the Ruby is my first love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were you even reading my comment?!

    1. "Yaarina". Seriously?! You're missing a crucial letter in my name. How long have you known me?!
    2. I said RASPBERRY, you sluthorse. RASPBERRY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I drank too much fruity beer before responding to this post...

      Delete
  5. Ram's head has a summer ale that tastes like Bananas!

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. In UK pubs, they make shandies on the spot by blending lemonade (which is carbonated there) and a light ale or lager. I'd order one now and again, smash it against the dartboard and scream at the bartender "NOW GIVE ME A FUCKING REAL BEER!" Good times.

    ReplyDelete